Saturday, June 20, 2009

Dad's Day Dinner

We did the Dad’s Day Dinner thing last night so Mrs. Igor could be there (she works weekends, usually). It was a good evening – funny cards and nice presents - except for a couple of glitches.

Glitch #1 – just as I finished putting the vegetables in the crock pot with the pot roast to cook for the last three hours, the phone rang and GolfGuy hollered it was for me. It was a friend from Silver Sneakers exercise class, and we chatted for a while. Then I went on to the next thing that needed to be done. Several hours later I checked the crock pot to see if I needed to turn it back down to low and discovered that the I had not put the lid back on securely and there was a slight gap along one side. By the time we ate, the food was cooked but not done the way we like it. As Mamie said, it was good but certainly not my best effort. Apparently I can’t talk and cook at the same time.

Glitch #2 – GolfGuy had requested Lemon Cream Pie for dessert, which is finished off with a layer of whipped topping. Mamie was passing a plate with a piece of pie to Bubby – and telling me to check the tiny print in the book she had given to Igor – when she let out a gasp. We all looked at her and she was sitting there with a horrified look on her face, a big glob of whipped topping sliding down her front, and an empty plate in her hand! Apparently she can’t talk and pass a plate at the same time.

Of course, we all collapsed in hysterics – how could we not? But all’s well that ends well. While Mamie was scraping the pie off the floor, GrandmaT offered to split her piece in two. I took her up on the offer, and we each had half a piece of pie while Mamie got to eat a piece as well as wear it.

1 comment:

  1. I spent the rest of the evening at home in my relciner peeling a crust of lemon cream off of each of my legs!

    ReplyDelete