Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Big 1-1

Bubby's birthday was Friday; he's now officially 11 years old. He'll be in the 5th grade in the fall - top dogs in the school (next year, the class will be at the bottom rung again, such is the cycle of life). I suspect one of the things he's proudest of at this moment is that he's "almost as tall as me", which I remind him is not much of an accomplishment as most everyone in the world is taller than I am.

His birthday party was yesterday - lots of kids and lots of noise. And the biggest inflatable water slide I have ever seen. I am so glad that I did my "bucket list" water slide thing last year at Pi's birthday party - there is no way I would have climbed up that thing. Mamie said she wouldn't even try it, and Mrs. Igor admitted that she had fallen backwards off it 2 times trying to go up. The kids didn't seem to have any problem though, scrambling up like monkeys and screeching back down.

Bubby is growing into a good person - a little lacking in focus at times, but basically a really good kid and really nice to have around. I hope the coming teen years don't change him too much; change is inevitable but hopefully the basics are strong enough to remain strong through the turmoil of adolecence. In the meantime, we'll just enjoy our good kid, interspersed with moments of exasperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment