Sunday, March 22, 2009

Cozies & Coasters

Mamie informed me yesterday that the Igor Family is down to 2 coasters and they are feeling very neglected by the Coaster Lady – that would be me.

After trying my hand at many different crafty activities over the years with results ranging from merely mediocre to really bad, I came across the “art” of doing needlepoint-type stitching on a base of plastic canvas. As they say, the rest is history.

My main output consists of Kleenex Cozies (known as tissue box covers in the polite world) and coasters, with napkin rings a distant third. Over the years I have made dozens and dozens of each. I have matching cozies and coasters for all holidays and seasons and moods – at least 8 cozies for Christmas alone. Mamie and the Igors have been inundated with examples of my work.

Shortly after Pi* was born, Mamie and I drove back to Kansas to visit the happy family. We spent most of the week burrowed in at Grammie’s house sewing Humpty dolls for Mrs. Igor, Bubby and Pi to go with the one Igor had (Grammie made a Humpty for each of her grandchildren when they were small – these remain treasured possessions). When we returned home, I designed and made cozies to match the fabric in Bubby’s and Pi’s Humptys and that also incorporated their names. Special Christmas cozies for each followed and on and on…

Several years ago, I was working on drawing a design for a plastic bag holder – it was to be a large piece, with lots of flowers, etc. I was laboring the old fashioned way – graph paper and colored pencils – and getting so frustrated I couldn’t see straight. One screw-up and the whole thing was toast, and I had to start over. GolfGuy couldn’t take it any longer and went online and found a software program for me that lets you work out your patterns easy as can be. Bless you, GolfGuy; the program has been a god-send to me – and saved both our sanities.

*references to Grandson and Granddaughter have morphed into “Bubby” and “Pi”. Not only are Grandson and Granddaughter waaay too many keystrokes for my impatient and clumsy fingers, but I don’t think of them in those terms. So Bubby and Pi it will be.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention going to the Cuchara Cabin after Grammie's for several days where I made like 8 goofy Halloween coasters! Don't know what you worked on, probably a toaster or car cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get too long and involved in my postings - have to give it up at some point. Don't remember - but I'm sure I took along some project.

    ReplyDelete