Friday, May 15, 2009

To Facebook or Not...

I think NOT – at least at this point. I have thought about it for some time but could never quite take the leap; it was hard enough for me to tip-toe into the blogworld. Mamie and the Igors are into Facebook big time – currently being obsessed with something about a farm on Facebook (Mamie hasn’t posted anything new on her blog since Easter and that was a cartoon, not even writing).

There are reasons for joining Facebook, BUT they are countered by reasons for not joining.

I could potentially make contact with people from my past that I haven’t seen or heard from in years. BUT, I’m not sure I want to make contact with some of these people – there are reasons why they are “past”. Also, I have read of instances where someone really shredded another person for some past transgression, real or imaginary, that occurred in high school or even junior high. Some people just never manage to mature. I don’t need that – I’m trying to eliminate “mean” from my life, not open myself up to insult or vitriol.

I could keep up better with what is going on in my children’s lives and minds. BUT, I would feel like a peeping tom; somehow it feels intrusive – like I would be trying to invade their world. I think I would feel better about myself just trying to do a better job of maintaining some sort of actual contact with them. I don’t HAVE to know every little detail of their lives.

Other people could keep up with what is going on in my life. BUT, who would care? And if they do, they can read my blog, or email me, or send an actual letter, or dial a phone. There are many choices of communication – Facebook and/or Twitter are not necessities.

OK, I think I’m out of reasons FOR, but I still have reasons NOT.

Sometime ago, Mamie informed me with absolute horror in her voice that the mother of one of her high school friends now had her own Facebook page. She appeared to believe that there was something really awful about a woman “her age” joining in on a young people’s “thing”. She then asked me to please, please NEVER have my own Facebook page. I haven’t forgotten that.

I am more comfortable being “under the radar” – writing the blog is as far up as I want to stick my head.

Finally, how humiliating would it be if no one wanted to be my friend (close family members don’t count – they would probably feel obligated anyway)?

So, NOT to join it is.

3 comments:

  1. Wombat, we Facebookers WOULD welcome you, and we would help you even (wanna start a farm? GolfGuy did but he let everything die)... I'm over my horror (do, though, remember WHOSE mother it was - THAT was harrifying in an of itself). Your brother and his partner have FB profiles, not that either of them keep up. Anyway, it's up to you - c'mon and joi if you want to. Just don't be horrified at US - I posted something to Igor after one of his political rants about "if Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton had a naked mud wrestling extravaganza, would you watch?" YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and does anybody DIAL a phone anymore? Doesn't everyone POKE at their phone now? Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You almost have me convinced I would be better off without Facebook. Almost.

    ReplyDelete