Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Company

Company is fine. Company is good. I like having company. What I don’t like is all the bustling about getting ready for company, the extra work while they are here, and the putting away and catching up after they leave. Lest anyone feel unwelcome, let me just point out that I am still fighting fatigue issues and I get plain worn out quickly, to the point that I can hardly enjoy the company. GolfGuy fussed at me preceding the last company’s arrival, saying I was being too ambitious in my plans. I thought I had things under control – after all, dinner was to be at Mamie’s one night – and the other 2 dinners were menus I had done frequently and were fairly simple. But I also had a plan B lurking in my mind – not making lemon cream pies for the last dinner, just using the leftover Peaches ‘N Cream cake and Chocolate Pound cake with strawberries from the previous 2 dinners. Which is what we did, and it worked out fine. Although Mamie claims that I owe them lemon cream pie.

I did have lots of help, of course. Bubby and Pi are of an age to be really useful for setting and clearing the table, and they do a nice job of it. Igor is a wonder at rinsing dishes and getting them into the dishwasher – neatly stacking up what won’t fit. Mamie, Mrs. Igor, and GrandmaT all help with fetching and carrying as needed. GolfGuy cooked the chicken breasts and served them, so we all had a part in seeing that people got fed.

Nonetheless, here it is Wednesday, and I am just now getting the last chair put back in place and the last of the extra dishes stowed away. Next week I have to pull myself together enough for a visit to Arizona and the convening of the remainder of GolfGuy’s siblings (just 3 brothers and him out of the original 8 – getting old means losses). And I am eagerly looking forward to June and a visit from an old friend (she’s not old – it’s just been a long time). Her visit will be a quick stop – not nearly long enough – so the fatigue issue should not be a problem (I’d just ignore it anyway).

1 comment:

  1. 1. You don't "owe" lemon cream pie... I'm just looking forward to at at a later date.

    2. Ask for more help - we'd be glad.

    3. Our friend who's visiting... not as old as you, but older than me!

    ReplyDelete