Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Turn

Yesterday it was my turn to deal with the medical world. Actually, yesterday and the day before. What should have been a quick in-'n-out turned into a 2 day trial.

About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I received a letter from Intermountain Health that it was time for my annual screening mammogram. Several weeks went by before I got around to making the phone call to schedule. I knew that last year I had actually had 2 mammograms - a screening mammogram and later a diagnostic mammogram to follow up on something the radiologist wasn't sure about. I was able to have the screening one done at the IMH clinic that is only about 1/2 mile from our house, but I had to make the 32 mile round trip into the BigTown for the diagnostic one. OK, the letter said screening so when I called for the appointment, I asked for the nearby facility.

I dutifully showed up at the assigned day and time, but when my name was called I was told that there were some problems. The tech who was to do the test said that Medicare only paid for 1 mammogram a year and this was only day 365 since the last one and they wouldn't pay until day 366. "So, let's just re-schedule," I said - logically I thought. Well, there's another problem. The last mammogram was done digitally and the doctors will want this one to be digital also for comparison purposes and we don't yet have the digital equipment at this clinic. "OK, I'll call and schedule at the other facility when I get home."

Not to happen. The reception-drone behind the desk who checked me in was already speed-dialing the scheduling number. You'd have thought she was a used-car salesman desperate to close the deal and have me sign on the dotted line she was so determined. Meanwhile, she is dithering about how she had already had me sign the Medicare form and what should she do with that. "Don't you have a shredder?" The tech rolled her eyes at my remark and the drone just kept dithering.

The thing that bugs me is that when I originally called, the scheduler put my name and birthdate into her computer and instantly knew everything about me - she had my complete IMH records right in front of her. Why didn't she realize that I needed to be scheduled after the 21st or that I needed to go into BigTown instead of the local clinic? The information was right there. Second, reception-drone had the same information available to her when I checked in. Oh wait, she would have had to THINK. Thus, it was left to the tech to spot the problems.

So yesterday I made the 32 mile trip and was in-'n-out in less than 20 minutes. The form that had the drone so concerned was waiting for me when I arrived - I really would not have minded signing another one. At least I didn't have to be stuffed into a scary box and hauled off to God knows where.

No comments:

Post a Comment